Monday, November 3, 2008

My custom computer

I just finished building my custom computer. 1.6 GHZ core 2 duo is the CPU I am using, aalthough it can be overclocked to 2.2 GHZ dual core. I also have a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 I can use, but I prefer the Dual Core. I will soon be buying a new HArd Drive to replace my 40 Gig. I am currently using a hard drive I took out of a sattelite reciever. WOr anyone assembling their own computer using a socket 775 cpu, remember 1. Plug the seperate power into your motherboard that goes just to the CPU, 2. Socket 775 CPUs HAVE THE PINS ON THE MOTHERBOARD, not THE CPU. THE MOTHERBOARD IS ONLY GUARENTEED FOR 20 CHANGES of the CPU.I think there age pros and cons to having the CPU pins on the motherboard. If your motherboard breaks, you can get a cheap replacement for around $30. I have already seen people break tehir motherboard while inserting a socket 775 CPU. The up side is that the CPU is harder to damage, which is good for CPUs over $150.

Anyways, I thought I would be using my old power supply and RAM for this build. All I had ordered was a MOtherboard and CPU. Think again. If you want more power and protection gat a power supply with 24 pins for the motherboard. MOst motherboards, including my motherboard, will support old 20 pin power supplies. 24 pin is reccomended. Also remember to get new RAM. My custom built computer now has a 1 GB DDR2 stick of RAM. My motherboard supports up to 4 GB and has 2 slots for RAM. I will probably buy myself a 2 GB later on, and then upgrade my motherboard to something over $100 for more power.

My only problem for now is that I still have an old CRT monitor. Around christmas, I will buy myself something around a 20 inch flatpanel. I am looking for a high resolution, brightness, and fast response and refresh rate.

many people ask me if I have an upgraded video card or plan to upgrade. My motherboard has an on board NVIdia GeForce with VGA and HDMI. I iam not going to buy myself another or better video adapter. The good video adapters that will be any good for me to buy are over $300. Anything less isn't usually good. If I have $300 that I am willing to spend on computers I will probably get myself a great quad-core CPU. Another option would be a huge RAM and motherboard upgrade. Think of how much RAM I could get for $300!

If you have any ideas, have found cheap products, or want to leave feedback, please post a comment. You don't have to register or anything. Thanks!

No comments: